I love linguistics, and language in general, and thus also all kinds of things that are related to language: songs, poetry, literature, films, and theatre… But then I also love other things that have nothing to do with language. Since I also like to sleep, I only have about 16 hours each day to dedicate to all these activities, which, alas, is not nearly enough.
- Music! There’s so much great music around, and I never know where to start. So I’ll just point out a wild selection of young(ish) groups and people that I think deserve your attention: Muddy What, Copper Viper, Carsie Blanton, Marvin Scondo, The Hoodie Crows, Kamran Inaiat, Christoph Schellhorn…
Also, videos from live music in the Hanau area can be found at DocGutter’s Youtube channel.
- More Music! I also like to make music myself. I sing, see the page on our duo, and I play the piano and the ukulele, very clumsily though.
- Space Travel! Okay, it’s a bit crazy, but it’s also terribly fascinating. There’s a very nice German podcast on the topic.
- Bodyweight workouts! I have been training with Freeletics since May 2020 now. If you don’t mind sweating and suffering, and have a good repertoire of swear words, this is a fun way to stay in shape.
- Literature! I read a wild mixture of Terry Pratchett, Håkan Nesser, Albert Camus, Shakespeare and Bill Bryson.
- Discworld! Since first acting in a Discworld-based theatre play with Die Dramateure in 2012, I regularly revisit this endearingly bizarre (moving) part of the universe. There’s a biennial convention in Germany, too!
- Festivals and concerts! I love small, local music festivals, especially when there’s blues music. The unique Blues, Schmus, Apfelmus in Laubach combines cozy concerts with our local Apfelwein culture. Even smaller is the Bluesfestival Bad Berka — but it’s always worth the trip!